Its Friday so I feel like sharing something I’m sort of obsessed with at the moment. Specifically, a super easy recipe for a smashing aubergine gratin!
My tip is to enjoy it with a glass of red vino. Just a thought.
- 2-3 aubergines
- 2 yellow/white onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato pure
- 300 gram mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- A little bit of honey
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
Do it like this:
- Heat up the oven to 200 degrees (Celsius)
- Cut or slice the aubergine in long slices (i used a cheese cutter from Sweden. Try and use a slicer/peeler over a knife to make it thin–I prefer it like that anyway)
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic
- Drizzle the olive oil into a pan and cook the onion and garlic together with a bit of salt, on medium temperature until soft
- Add tomatoes, tomato pure, oregano and honey
- Let the sauce cook on low heat for about 5 minutes
- You’re supposed to paint a bit of olive oil and salt on each and every piece of aubergine here but I didn’t do it and it turned out really nice anyway. I put the aubergine in a bowl, added a bit of olive oil and salt, and turned it around in there for a bit–worked for me… If you have the patience and time, brush lightly with olive oil and salt on each piece I guess.
- Cook the aubergine in a pan to give them a bit of colour
- In a pan, layer everything together–one layer of tomato sauce in the bottom, then a layer of aubergine, then tomato sauce…you get it. Use up everything but make sure the aubergine is the top layer
- Cut the mozzarella into thin slices and put it over the top layer of aubergine
- Cook for anywhere between 30-40 min depending on how thick your aubergine is. You’ll be able to tell by the cheese when it gets brownish in colour, and you can also use a fork to check the texture of the gratin.
Then devour and frickin enjoy! Happy Friday, hungry people!